Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Drawing - Humans




Bather Study 1
Charcoal   on Acid Free Sketch Paper
9 inches by 12 inches
April 2012
Life Drawing 1   Homework final exercises required us to choose an art period style artist or artists and do drawings in that style.  Unable to get family to pose for similar settings I had to opt for copying the images from color images found on the web.  The reason I am showing these drawings is I am very proud of myself to have been able to actually learn to draw better by "seeing" what was there and not letting my brain "add" to the forms.   I also choose works from people who actually went to school together in the 1860s in Paris.  Renoir, Bazille and Monet.   The influence of Courbet is seen in Renoir's work with the Bather. 


Bazille's Self-Portrait
Charcoal   on Acid Free Sketch Paper
9 inches by 12 inches
April 2012
Having time to do something is the most important part of an artists life.  Family often does not understand that your work is very important to your own self image and morale.  It is not impossible to get family members to pay attention and to leave you alone, time fly's so fast though and what may seem like moments to you has been hours for them in waiting.   


                                                                               Photo Image Archives New York Times
Monet in Lily Garden   New York
Graphite Pencil  on Acid Free Sketch Paper
9 inches by 12 inches
April 2012

So When the children are looking at you, in this case at me,  this is who they see, my glasses are askew and my mind is upon the work at hand.  Perhaps my concentration makes me look uninviting. This is a mirror image actually that our class assignment was about.  In Jim Ward's Drawing 1 class as one of our final projects.  In Jim Ward's Life Drawing class we had wonderful live models also to work with.                                         





Melanie
Graphite Pencil  Charcoal and Chalk
on Acid Free Paper
18 inches by 24 inches
November 2011






1 comment: